In the fall of 1871 the Methodist Church was organized. Toward the spring of a new church was talked of and on the 6th of October 1872, the first Methodist Church was built on Clark Street between Maple and Pine. The cost was $2,200.
In 1887 a new and larger church was erected on the present church’s location, the corner of Elm and Howard Streets. It was named “The First Methodist Episcopal Church”. It was built of veneer brick “ square building plan”, at a cost of $8,177.
On May 27, 1903, this church was badly damaged by a tornado. It was rebuilt and enlarged to accommodate a growing membership
On March 18, 1932, a devastating fire destroyed the church. Flames destroyed the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Creston. It was depression years and the money was hard to obtain. The church met in the Union County Courthouse and at the Junior College while the building committee made plans to begin construction of a new church.
By late Fall of 1961, construction was begun on the property west of the Church for an educational building.